. How is meningitis contracted? What is the difference between viral and bacterial meningitis?
2. How are viral and bacterial meningitis treated?
3. How does meningitis cause hearing loss?
4. In 2013, there was an unusual outbreak of fungal meningitis in some patients who were administered epidural prednisone (corticosteroids). Meningitis due to fungal infection is rarely observed.
a. What were the symptoms?
b. What was the cause?
c. What is the treatment?
5. Discuss the effects of a stroke, or cerebrovascular accident, if the cranial bleed is located in Broca’s or Wernicke’s area.
6. Briefly describe the differences between Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Huntington’s disease, and explain the reasons for their differences.
7. Briefly describe and discuss brain conditions that require psychiatric treatment such as depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, sociopathic behavior, or psychosis, and their relationship with specific neurotransmitter dysregulation.
8. Use your knowledge about the layers of the meninges, along with their protective functions to discuss different types of hematomas in the brain-subdural vs epidural hematomas.
9. Use your knowledge about the Blood-Brain barrier and why during pregnancy majority of drugs cannot be used without the consequences of having fetal deformities or injury to the unborn fetus.
10. Discuss the cerebral hemispheres and their important functions.
11. Discuss the function of the cerebellum and the brain stem.