According to the CDC, more than half of all Americans consumed a supplement in 2012. Supplements are common in our culture, and many people think they need to consume a supplement to be healthy. Are supplements safe? In this forum, we will investigate vitamin and mineral supplements.
Using your favorite search engine, find a vitamin and mineral supplement and evaluate it. In your initial forum post, discuss the following:
- What is the cost of these supplements?
- How do the amounts of vitamins and minerals in the product compare with the DRIs, AI, and UL?
- Are the levels of nutrients safe?
- What compounds are included that are not essential nutrients?
- What disclaimers or warnings are made about the product? Does the manufacturer provide scientific evidence to back up their claim?
- How likely is the supplement to improve a person’s health?