Ethics is a central concept to any career in psychology. As you noticed in the case studies, ethical issues are sometimes unclear, and solutions to ethical dilemmas are often difficult to determine. As a professional in psychology, it is important to know how to identify an ethical issue, think through possible solutions, and find the resources necessary to guide your choices.
You probably also observed from the unit studies that you will not be conducting actual research for this course. You will instead be gathering information from a professional in psychology.
For this discussion, select one case study from Ethics Case Studies by Specialization that is applicable to your future career vision in the field. Then review your readings from this unit’s studies on ethical principles, standards, and codes of conduct. Consider also the questions and information from your professional interview.
In your initial post, share your insights about ethical principles in psychology by responding to the following questions:
· What do you see as the ethical issue or issues involved in the case study you reviewed? Cite the relevant elements within the APA’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct to support your analysis.
· What steps would you take to attempt to resolve the issue?
· How can you apply the principles from the Becoming an Ethical Helping Professional coursepack readings to the case study you chose?
· How does this issue as well as the other standards in the APA ethics code relate to your future career in psychology?
· What is the difference between conducting research in the field of psychology and conducting your informational interview for this course?
· What ethical principles are most applicable to your professional interview?
· What will you do to ensure you adhere to ethical principles while conducting your interview?
If you have any trouble locating a person to interview or understanding ethical principles for information gathering, use this discussion to receive support from your peers and instructor to work through your challenges.