Imagine that you can create your very own city and select any works of architecture and/or artworks to fill that city. What would you choose? This is the essence of this assginment.
Describe a plan for an ideal community environment that includes selections of art and architecture from the textbook. For this assignment, you may use artworks outside of the textbook, but you must provide a link so I can ‘follow’ what you are doing. As in many existing virtual reality experiences, such as Second Life or the SIMS, you can be as creative as you like when describing your own corner of a virtual reality world. Don’t get hung up on the idea of virtual reality, however. You are simply designing your own community, in real life or not, with a particular theme. Select a theme that flows through the entire community. This theme can be a color, an idea, a way of life, sustainable materials, or even a common media (materials).
Write a 750- to 1,050-word paper summarizing your ideal community environment that includes the following:
- A description of at least one work of architecture featured in the course readings with a summary of the building’s history and style, as well as information on how it originally shaped its environment, and how you will use it to shape the ideal community environment you are creating. Include the following in your description of your selected work or works of architecture:
- Who was the architect? What was his or her background and nationality?
- When was the building created?
- Where is it located?
- What is the building’s original purpose?
- A description of at least one sculpture that continues the theme or mood set by your selected work(s) of architecture. How does your sculpture amplify the message that your selected architectural work communicates to onlookers? Include the following in your description of your selected work or works of sculpture:
- Who was the sculptor? What was her or his background and nationality?
- When was the sculpture originally created?
- Where was the original location of the sculpture?
- For what purpose was the sculpture originally created?
- A selection of four to five drawings and paintings from the text that you will place in your selected work of architecture. Describe how they complement the mood or theme of your ideal community environment, and include responses to the following:
- What materials or media are used in the creation of drawings?
- What materials or media are generally needed in painting?
- How is drawing often a part of the development of a painted work of art?
- Why do some artists draw before they paint?
- How do the skills of painting and drawing compare?
- A selection of two to three examples of craft media from the text that you will place in your selected work of architecture. Describe how they complement the mood or theme of your ideal community environment and include responses to the following:
- Who was the creator?
- What was her or his background and nationality?
- When was the example of craft media originally created?
- Where was the original location of the example of craft media?
- For what purpose was the example of craft media originally created?
- Does the form impede or support the function of your craft media examples?
Format your assignment consistent with APA guidelines. This means that a title page, introduction, and conclusion are present. Legitimate scholarly references (not Wikipedia, Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, or About.com) should be used and cited, including a reference page. 3-5 sources are required.
Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab