You will need to do the research and write a 10 min transcript using the interventions listed below. I will make the video and send to you for you to finalize the 2 page paper and transcript to send back to me.
- Application: Demonstrating Skills (video submission plus 1- to 2-page paper)
Malcolm Gladwell noted in his book Outliers: The Story of Success (2008) that in order to become proficient at any one thing, an individual must practice 10,000 hours. At that point, she or he might be considered an expert.This week marks your first hour on the way to your 10,000 in gaining proficiency as a therapist. Although demonstrating skills to be reviewed by your Instructor might create some anxiety or apprehension, expert feedback is vital to your development of skills and abilities. Every therapist at some point in her or his training and education has gone through this same ritual. Start slow, add a skill or two each time you tape a mock session, and continue to build upon and practice your skills. You will, over time, be amazed at your improvement.
Reference: Gladwell, M. (2008). Outliers: The story of success. New York, NY: Little, Brown.
The assignment (video submission plus a 1- to 2-page paper)
- Create a 10-minute video in which you demonstrate at least three of the following skills with a ” client”: confrontation, disputing beliefs, interpretation, providing information, giving feedback, silence, self-disclosure, and reflection of meaning.
- Do NOT use children or anyone who cannot give consent (e.g., adult with severe developmental disabilities).
- Submit a 1- to 2-page written narrative explaining where and how you demonstrated each of the microskills.
- Please refer to the Kaltura Media Uploader area in the navigation bar on the left for information about recording and uploading media to the course.Submit a Video/Voice Release Agreement (located on the Kaltura Media Uploader area) for each person who appears in this video. You may email the video release to your instructor or attach it to your paper.
Submit your video to the Week 5 Assigment submission area by Day 7.
Submit your written assignment to the Assignment Turnitin – Week 5 area by Day 7.
You have completed Week 5. Please proceed to Week 6.
- Week 5 AssignmentTo submit your completed Media Assignment(s), do the following:
If you have not already done so, click the Week 5 Assignment link. Click the Write Submission button to turn on the Content Editor toolbar. Once you have clicked on the link, fill in the Submission field with any pertinent information and attach your Assignment file by clicking on the Mashup button on the text editor menu bar, and select Kaltura Media. Then find the media file you saved as “WK5Assgn+first initial+last name” and click Open. Add any appropriate comments pertaining to your Assignment(s) in the Comments field. Be sure to attach all your video assignments. Finally click the Submit button to turn in your Assignment(s) for review.
For additional details on adding media in the classroom, please refer to the Kaltura Media Uploader page located in the course navigation menu.
- Assignment Turnitin – Week 5
To submit your completed Assignment for Turnitin review and grading, do the following:Click the View/Complete link. Then, click the Submit button next to the name of the Assignment. Once you have clicked on the link, scroll down and choose the appropriate paper item submission method from the drop down menu and fill in the remaining required fields. (Please use the naming convention “WK5Assgn+first initial+last name” as the Submission Title.) Next, click on the Browse button. Find the document you saved as “WK5Assgn+first initial+last name.doc” and click Open. Then click on the Upload button at the bottom of the page. You will then see a screen where you may review your submission. Once you have finished reviewing your submission, click on the Submit button. Finally, you will see a screen which will indicate that your paper was submitted successfully.