For this assignment, write a paper that assesses the relationship between substance use disorders and psychosis. Drawing on at least five research articles published in peer-reviewed journals (published in the past 5 years), select an explanatory model that you feel best explains the relation between substance abuse and psychosis in co-occurring disorders. Include in your paper, the following information:
- Explore the issue of whether or not substance abuse can cause psychosis.
- Discuss psychotic-like symptoms that that may be due to physiological or neurological effects of substance abuse, such as intoxication, hallucinosis, or withdrawal.
- Explore examples of self-medication as a reaction to psychotic symptoms and how this may lead to a substance use disorder.
- Discuss any other factors (e.g., environmental, genetic) that may lead to developing a mental illness and/or substance use disorder.
- Address effective approaches to treatment for patients dually diagnosed with psychosis and a substance use disorder.
Length: 5-7 pages, not including title and reference pages.
Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards.
Due: November 29, 2018 by 10pm EST