The purpose of this paper is to develop appropriate research skills to ensure that effective treatment strategies are selected on the basis of review of professional literature when developing a counseling group.
You have been hired as a clinical mental health counselor. Your agency asks you to do a needs assessment to determine which clinical population (defined by age, gender, clinical presenting issue, or other criteria) could best be served by the formation of a new counseling group. In speaking with fellow counselors and surveying clients, you see a clear need for a group that pertains to (enter your choice here). Your administrator first asks you to conduct a review of literature to ensure that evidence-based practices include group counseling for this particular specialty population.
Seek topic approval from your instructor to ensure that your topic is narrow enough. After conducting a review of the literature, address the following:
- This paper has four content sections:
- Provide a brief review of recent literature on the selected population or clinical issue (e.g., depression).
- Analyze group theory, techniques, and interventions that are evidence-based recommendations for the selected population or clinical issue (e.g., effectiveness of group counseling with depression). Explain the need for a variety of techniques and interventions.
- Identify and explain cultural and developmental considerations for the specific population that the group will include (e.g., Latina adolescents in group counseling).
- Analyze ethical and legal considerations for group counseling especially relevant to the selected specific population or clinical issue (e.g., confidentiality with groups or ethical/legal issues working with minors).
- The topic of this special topic paper will be the same population or clinical issue used in the group counseling proposal assignment in M6 Assignment 2 LASA.
- Your final submission should be an 8- to 10-page paper (including the cover page and references) in a Microsoft Word document. Cite a minimum of five scholarly sources. At least one of your references should be from the Journal for Specialists in Group Work. Use the most current APA format.