New Models for Evidence-Based Practice
A professional goal for DNP-prepared nurses is to produce new evidence-based models of care and develop evidence-based guidelines. As you continue to develop and engage in your EBP Project, keep this aim in mind. What could help to facilitate the acceptance of new practices?
As noted in earlier weeks, every specialty area should base practice on research and evidence. For example, in informatics, an informatician who plans to implement a new health information system would be wise to follow a model that research shows has been effective. Similarly, those involved in leadership or management can review change models and theories, exploring current evidence on best practices that produce positive results. For this Discussion, you evaluate evidence-based practice models, change theories, and frameworks that assist with the adoption of new evidence-based practice approaches.
- Reflect on your hospital setting and the use of evidence-based practice models. How are these models used? If they are not used, how might the integration of an evidence-based practice model change practice?
- Review the Rosswurm and Larrabee article presented in the Learning Resources focusing on the model they present for integrating new evidence-based practices (See attached file).
- Research and locate an evidence-based practice model from nursing or another discipline that could be used in your specialty area to lead a systematic change to evidence-based practice approaches. You may also use a model or framework discussed in your course text, Translation of Evidence into Nursing and Health Care Practice.
- Consider how using a model for evidence-based practice can facilitate adoption of new approaches to practice.
By tomorrow Tuesday 9/25/18 10 pm, write an essay of a minimum of 550 words in APA format, and at least 3 scholarly references from the list of required readings below. Include all level one headings as numbered below:
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
1) Discuss the use of evidence-based models in your hospital setting.
2) Describe a model for evidence-based practice or change theories and frameworks that you could utilize to facilitate the adoption of new approaches to practice. Substantiate your selection with evidence from the literature.
Gallagher-Ford, L., Fineout-Overhold, E., Melnyk, B.M. & Stillwell, S.B. (2011). Evidence-based practice step-by-step: Implementing an evidence-based practice change. American Journal of Nursing, 111(3), 54-60.
Rosswurm, M. A., & Larrabee, J. H. (1999). A model for change to evidence-based practice. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 31(4), 317-322. (See attached file).
Pryse, Y., McDaniel, A., & Schafer, J. (2014). Psychometric analysis of two new scales: The evidence-based practice nursing leadership and work environment scales. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, 11(4), 240-247.
Sadeghi-Bazargani, H., Tabrizi, J.S., & Azami-Aghdash, S. (2014). Barriers to evidence-based medicine: A systematic review. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 20, 793-802.
Schaffer, M.A., Sandau, K.E., & Diedrick, L. (2013). Evidence-based practice models for organizational change: overview and practical applications. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 69(5), 1197-1209.