Discuss the characteristics of your specific mental health concern. Define the mental health condition.
- Describe the signs and symptoms. Give examples.
- What are the effects on work, family and social functioning?
- What are some of the legal and ethical concerns surrounding this condition, such as competency, consent, right to treatment and commitment?
Discuss the variety of treatment options for a patient with this mental health concern, including therapies, medication, and nursing interventions.
- Describe therapies that are commonly used.
- Discuss the medications commonly used, effects, side effects.
- Include nursing interventions that can be used.
Discuss the nurse-client relationship in caring for a person with this specific mental health condition and how it may vary from other areas of nursing.
- Include ethical concerns that may arise in caring for the patient.
- Discuss maintaining appropriate boundaries in the relationship.
- Describe how the work of one nursing theorist can be helpful in caring for this client and designing appropriate interventions.
Discuss your personal feelings about caring for a client with this mental health concern.
- What are your concerns?
- How do you maintain personal safety and client safety in the case of decompensation? What are the goals for this client?
- Are you interested in working with clients with this specific mental health concern and why?