research araticle appraisal part two
Research Article Appraisal, Part Two Assignment
This week, you will continue to appraise the instructor assigned article that you began reading in Module 1. (See Module 1 Research Article Appraisal, Part One for review of the assignment.)
Instructor Assigned Article for Appraisal: Cho, S., Mark, B., Knafl, G., Chang, H. & Yoon, H. (2017). Relationships Between Nurse Staffing and Patients’ Experiences, and the Mediating Effects of Missed Nursing Care. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 49. doi 10.1111/jnu.12292.
Instructions: A major skill that is learned in this course is how to critically read and appraise nursing research articles according to the guideline found in your textbook. The purpose for appraising an article is to critically evaluate the research process followed by the author(s) of the assigned article. This is an information-intensive, time-intensive process that is not learned overnight. To demonstrate your skill at appraising an article, you will complete this open-book assignment.
Here’s how you should approach completing this week’s assignment to begin critiquing an article:
1. First, review your assigned readings in Gray, Grove, & Sutherland (2017) in each module. This will introduce you to the critique skills you will need for this week.
2. Skim the entire instructor assigned research article that has been posted on Blackboard in Module 1 for you so that you will have an idea of what it is about. Then, for this week, re-read carefully the sample / data collection / data analysis / results / discussion sections of the article again.
3. Print the Research Article Appraisal, Part Two Assignment and find the best answer to each question based on your Gray, Grove, & Sutherland (2017) assigned reading for the week and on what you have read in the instructor assigned research article.
4. Some of the questions in the appraisal assignment below will seem unfamiliar to you. Look up key terms from the question in your textbook. Some examples of these terms might be: sample size, power analysis, or t-test. You can also look in Chapter 18 for an example of a critical appraisal of a quantitative research article.
5. Download the Assignment so you can type in your answers. Once completed, upload your Assignment to the submission link by the time and date listed on the Course Schedule.