By now you should have completed your interview with someone from your field of interest “psychology”. The interview format should be based on the following types of questions:
- Demographic questions: This is common in interviews and questionnaires. Typically, demographic questions include questions regarding age, gender, race or ethnicity, marital status, education level, career title (job), and types of jobs held. Do not include questions that identify an individual, that is, questions regarding name, address, and relationship with you.
- Interview questions: Personal interview questions differ from a questionnaire or survey in that they are much less structured. They are open-ended and lead to a narrative. For the interview you will need to ask four to five questions related to the profession. However, be prepared to ask follow-up questions to further probe into the topic area, if needed. The types of questions should follow these general themes:
- Skills and experience—This theme covers questions related to the individual’s education and experience.
- Types of work—This theme covers questions related to the individual’s typical work day.
- Professional development—This theme covers questions related to the types of continued education/training needed after formal education (college).
- Future prospects—This theme covers questions related to the state of the profession and potential career prospects.
When conducting the interview follow this guide:
- First, locate individuals whom you plan to interview. Call him/her or send an e-mail to make an appointment. Introduce yourself as a student of South University. Explain that you need to interview him or her as part of a class project
- Conduct a one-on-one interview. The interview can be completed via a phone interview if you are not able to find someone in your area.
- Take detailed notes.
- Besides answers to the questions, note other relevant information shared.
What is due for this assignment is a summary report on the interview detailing the following information:
- Interview questions asked
- Demographic information
- Summary of responses to questions